Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Snowshoe Running in Breakheart Reservation

I’ve tried to make the best of all the snow that accumulated over the weekend by trading in my Brooks Cascadia 3s for a pair of Tubbs Venture snowshoes. I took the snowshoes for short runs in Breakheart Reservation on Sunday and Monday. As a novice snowshoe runner I found these 3 miles runs very challenging. The Ventures aren’t made for running so I’m sure this made the workout all the more strenuous. I did learn one thing on my second run. A higher than normal knee lift makes the shoeing a little easier. With rain and warmer temperatures forecasted for the remainder of the week, it may be a while before I get to try this again.

Here are a few photos taken along the way.





Pine tops trail



Ridge trail start

Snow covered pine

Now need to worry about that happening now!

Canopy of snow

Snow Pyramid

Water Crossing

More water on trail

Happy Snowman






Have a Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukah or whatever else you wish to celebrate.

Peace.....

2 comments:

  1. Hey Dan,
    Sounds like you had lots of fun. Thanks for the tips on snowshoeing. I plan to try it for the first time this year! Merry Christmas, Ana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dan,

    My snowshoes are not actual "running shoes" either. I found the same thing, lift the legs a little highter and a little wider stance.

    I watched your video to see if your running is similar. You see I find that my heart rate peaks rather quick and I run out of breath so the running is not constant like road running.

    I noticed your video was very similar to how I feel running on snow shoes....so I feel better...I thought it was just me.

    It looks like there a measurable storm this weekend so I think we will be able to get out on shoes again.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...